Nearly all of Steve Atkinson's sculptures are hand-carved stone derived from clay or plaster models using traditional techniques, but the development of ideas is facilitated using sophisticated 3D software. It is through these techniques that Steve combines a degree of precision and imagination, bringing every step of the creative process in sync with the thematic concerns.
After initially training and practicing as an architect, he completed a Diploma in Architectural Stone Carving at the City and Guilds of London Art School where he developed his techniques and became interested in expressing abstract ideas using stone. As well as being a sculptor, he works as a 3D artist from his studio in South London.
This series deal with forms that capture moments of both creation and destruction, exploring the visceral interactions that can arise while carving a material like a stone into figurative forms. These ideas are a continuation of previous themes in his work concerned with creating narratives via a combination of figurative and architectural elements.
- Delamore Arts, Devon www.delamore-art.co.uk
- Garden Gallery, Broughton, Hampshire https://gardengallery.uk.com/
- On form 20, Asthall Manor, Oxfordshire www.onformsculpture.co.uk/artist/steven-atkinson/
- Delamore Arts, Devon
- Garden Gallery, Broughton, Hampshire
- Sculptour 19 at Beukenhof Gallery, Belgium www.beukenhof.com/nl/archief/sculptour-2019
- On form 18, Asthall Manor, Oxfordshire www.onformsculpture.co.uk/onform-archive/2018-artists/
- Garden Gallery, Broughton, Hampshire.
- Clyde&Co Art Awards Retrospective, Gallery@Oxo, Oxo Tower, London
- ‘Making It’, Snape Maltings, Suffolk
- On form 16, Asthall Manor, Oxfordshire www.onformsculpture.co.uk/onform-archive/2016-artists/
- Won Clyde&Co Art Prize for ‘Emotional Scale’.
- City & Guilds Art School Degree Show