Born 1986 Istanbul. Studied illustration at Maryland Institute College of Art with full scholarship.
Worked in/around animation, film and design for about a decade before turning towards fine art. While focusing primarily on painting, took part in a wide variety of projects spanning yacht design to video game development.
Currently set up in Istanbul.
Drawing on themes of transience, chaos and the human footprint, Berkay Bugdan's works incorporate various industrial materials and data analysis techniques with classical painting and sculpture. Bugdan's works are characterized by his use of experimental surfaces and image composing methods that each introduce an aspect of relinquishing control for the artist.
Weather by chaotic output from software, uncooperative rectified materials or simple corrosion, the production methods often render the final piece just as much as the artist does. This conflict or balance of the artists narrative perspective and unruly techniques defines the artists unique style.
- 2021, (opening 11.02) "Kül", Galeri77, Istanbul
- 2016, "Islah", Mixer, Istanbul
- 2014, "Chaoskampf", Mixer, Istanbul
- 2013, "Grigori", Mixer, Istanbul
- 2012, "01 Ante Bellum", Mim Art & Antiques, Istanbul
- 2020, ‘Post Nature’, Vision Art Platform, Istanbul
- 2019, ‘Bang Art Innovation Prix 2019’, Istanbul
- 2019, "Is there life on earth?" Elgiz Museum, Istanbul
- 2018, ‘InterForms’, Design Week Turkey, Istanbul
- 2015, “Things That Count, Things That Don’t” The Abrazo Interno Gallery, New York
- 2015, UİP-6.Bosphorus Summit, Çırağan Palace, Istanbul
- 2014, "Mass Hallucination / Ill Education", C.A.M. Galeri, Istanbul