Arran Ross is a Scottish Based artist, whose work covers painting sculpture and photography.
He studied at Edinburgh College of Art, 1983-87 obtaining a First Class Honours Degree in Sculpture, before going on to study his Masters at DJCA, in the field of Public Art and Design.
Early Residencies followed at the Glasgow Garden Festival, in 1988, Armagh College of Further Education, New Deer, Banff and Buchan , Bellwood Park, Perth, spearheading artistically, the platform for The Sculpture Trail that followed.
Other Public Commissions and Residencies ensued but during the 1990’s, he was to begin developing his own studio practice in Edinburgh and exploring his own unique sense of style and vision, both in 2 and 3 dimensions.
Various awards followed including the JD, Fergusson Award, 1997 of which he was the inaugural, winner, The RSA, Latimer Prize, 1998 - with proceeding solo shows at the Fergusson Gallery in Perth 1998, Monaghan County Museum, Ireland, the same year and then the Compass Gallery, Glasgow in 1999. That year he was also invited to teach at Edinburgh College of Art, where he remained as a Part Time Tutor till 2016.
In 2000, he received a Major Award from The Pollock Krasner Foundation NY - Visiting the US the following year to exhibit the pre 9/11 show - “Unknown Warriors’, at the Artemisia Gallery, Chicago - May - 2001 which was laced with a premonitory edge of what was to follow.
At this particular point, a certain sci fi twist which had been growing in the Artist’s work started to fuse with an inherent satyrical surrealism on his return from America, fuelled by the energy and vibrant community and growing creative spirit of Edinburgh’s Port District, of Leith, he began a series of collaborations with various individuals and organisations, chiefly the Leith Festival producing a series of exhibitions in a wide range of informal settings, over a number of years. One of the central characters in that narrative was and an Astronaut figure . It first appeared in his work in the 1990’s manifesting itself in various incarnations along the way and in various materials. Initially a wood carver, Arran has branched into various other materials with extensive stints at the Sottish Sculpture Workshop gaining an in depth knowledge of bronze work, and more recently ceramic material.
In 2016 - He left his Lecturing position at ECA to concentrate on his own practice, travelling extensively. He is currently undertaking a Residency at Cyprus College of Art, producing a series of some 20 canvases.
- Fidra fine Art, Gullane - Winter Exhibition - Mixed Summer Exhibition
2019 - 2020
- SSA -VAS - Annual General Exhibition
- Royal Scottish Academy - Annual General Exhibition
- Heinzel Gallery, Aberdeen
- Firth of Forth - Fidra Fine Art, with Mathew Draper - mixed Winter Exhibition, Mixed Summer Exhibition
- Larroque Arts Festival, Mid Pyrenees, France,
- New Beginnings - Fidra Fine Art
- Spring Mixed Exhibition, Fidra Fine Art
- Wood Works Tree Works - Gallery Ten Edinburgh
- Summer At The Fraser Gallery - Fraser Gallery, St Andrews
- Spring In A New Place, Gallery Ten
- Summer Exhibition, Gallery Ten
- Winter Exhibition, Gallery Ten
- Ya Bass - Fidra Fine Art
- Mixed Summer Show, Fidra Fine Art
- Cause And Effect, Pentland Fine Art, Aberdeen
- Summer Exhibition, Pentland Fine Art
- Royal Scottish Academy, Annual Exhibition
- Edinburgh Drawing School - Summer Exhibition
- Mixed Show, Fidra Fine Art
- Inperspextive - Royal Scottish Academy
- Artist’s Rooms - Cockenzie House, East Lothian
- Black Star Landing - Solo Exhibition - at Fidra Fine Art, North Berwick and Sutton Gallery Edinburgh